Friday, August 03, 2012

PERU

My time in Peru

These photos were all taken by the combat photographer that spent the first week with us.  He has quite the job.  This was a nice assignment for him, as he has previously been embedded with Marine troops and has nearly lost his life twice.  Quite the sacrifice-all for good photography!  I thought he had a cool job until he told me the details.  Thanks, but no thanks! I'll remain at my surgery post with all the security guys watching out for me and my team so that we can fix up the troops and photographers...


My comrade
OR Nurse

My comrade 
Orthopedic Surgeon
My Comrade and Roommate
Dentist

Building the tents
Roof frame



The Thermal Fly 

Next is the raising of the tent

Dental Tech, Medical Tech, and Pediatrician

Just a nice pic

Staking the tents

C-Vans x 12
All equipment was shipped by sea and then driven 10 hours to Huancavelica, Peru at an elevation of 12, 130 feet

Lighting teams

Securing tent to frame



Pulling up any slack in the lines

Populating the OR

Finished product
Over the next 28 days >4000 patients were evaluated and treated through this hospital


Dentistry was always busy
As many as 40 teeth pulled in a day

Quechua (Native population)

My first operation there was the removal of this arm tumor (benign) but decent size.





Performed many minor operations removing small skin lesions like this one coming off of this child's ear.
Brave kiddo


Pleased with the outcome

One for the journals


My good friend helping out so many people with chronic pain from arthritis

No comments: