Wednesday, July 13, 2005


Trekking in India



Hello,

I figured it was time I start a blog, because I know all too well that physicians fall behind in the world of technology and computer skills as the years of training and practice go by.

My first blog:

I have been in Michigan now for a little over one month, and my life has been anything but dull since graduation on May 15th. On May 18th I flew to India for 3 weeks. It was a phenomenal trip. I got to visit family while there as well as enjoy the Himalayas and surrounding beauty. If you love to hike/trek, then you must make it a goal to travel to the himalayas for a trek. It is absolutely awesome!
To give you an idea about how I like to schedule my life...
On June 8th I left northern India, arrived in Chicago around noon on June 9th, bought a bus ticket to Rockford, Illinois, arrived there around 4pm, picked up my car, got a flat tire fixed, slept for 5 hours, and then drove throughout the night so I could be in Detroit the following morning and attend the appointment to close on the purchase of my house. All went well, and by the evening of the 10th I had the keys to my home, and began the process of cleaning and fixing up my place. The following 2 weeks, were spent painting the kitchen, livingroom, 3 bedrooms, and installing laminate wood flooring throughout much of the home. I really wanted to buy furniture from IKEA, so I made a 10 hour round trip drive to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania one thursday and bought my livingroom entertainment center/bookshelves, a bed, a dining table+chairs, and of course many small IKEA commodities. :o) Believe it or not, it all fit in my VW Jetta Wagon. I gotta give props to both IKEA's packaging and VW's cargo space.
After a week of orientation and re-certifications of cardiac life support, I began my internship year with my favorite area of medicine, surgery. I am feeling very blessed and happy to be where I am at. I am training at the same hospital that I spent my third year of medical school at, so it is like being with friends and family. Many people have loaned me a plethora of tools for all of my home projects, and given me necessities, such as a lawn mower. My lawn mower is one of those non-motorized grass clippers that is just two wheels with spinning blades between them. My neighbors think I am crazy to use it, but I like the fact that it is good exercise and completely free! The weather in Detroit is less than desirable, but it really isn't too bad. Having spent last summer in Texas and Mississippi, I find the humidity here quite bearable. However, all the michiganders are dying in the heat, and running up there electric bills with a/c running 24/7.

Now that I am settled in my home, and busy at the hospital, I'm finding less time for other things, but my non-call weekends are filling up with activities. I have been invited to a pig roast in a couple of weeks, and at the end of the month I will be attending a morning conference at the Detroit Ritz Carlton Hotel to learn about a new class of antibiotics hitting the world of medicine. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?! Man, I am probably a true academic nerd by now. I can't be totally nerdy though, because the real reason I am going is for the free food from the Ritz!

Later everyone

No comments: